Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Note About Parisians

Sitting on the metro the other day I made a mental list on how to become Parisian. This is what I have so far:
1. Wear black and gray - at least during the winter
2. Put your game face on when you enter the metro
3. Do not smile at strangers
4. Be tall, skinny, and beautiful
However, as much as I try I was told during orientation Parisians can always pick out the foreigners. Even the lady who was given the lecture said she has been here 12 years and people still know she is not French. I just wonder how they know.
Parisians have a reputation among us Westerners. I've had friends asking me how I am getting along with my family, are they uptight? Rude? Arrogant? This less than wonderful reputation was certainly something I was aware of before coming here and something I tried not to judge the city by. The truth is some Parisians are rude, but so am I half the time. Yes, they are arrogant, but hardly the only culture that is. What I have noticed more and more is that Parisians have the same problems and concerns about life that we do.
Marielle, the oldest daughter of my host parents is having a baby in two months. However, this pregnancy has been tense and uneasy because last year she lost a baby during her six month for a reason none of the doctors can explain. She was telling me on Sunday that she still can't believe her baby will actually be born alive this time, that she will finally be a mother.
On Saturday when we were at the old Opera house riot police came running past us. There was a a protest marching down one of the nearby streets towards the Opera house - they were waving Palestinian flags and shouting in support of Hamas. They continued down the street with a van in the middle of them from which people were yelling into microphones. Then they marched up the steps and each took hold of a huge Palestinian flag which they waved in unison.


I guess with all the stereotypes and preconceived expectations what I am finding is that Paris is simply full of ordinary people. Mothers who worry about their children, students who are fighting for their people, the person that shoves you on the metro because they want to get to work on time, and the server that chuckles when you butcher their language. Just ordinary people going about their life as they best they can, they just happen to be in Paris.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100%. We are not all as different as we think!

    ReplyDelete