Sunday, February 7, 2010

This is the 6th Floor

Locks in Paris are complicated. Often there are 2 or 3 key holes with different shaped keys for each one. Losing one's keys is a huge problem. You don't simply make a copy - you change the lock something that can cost up to $1000. And so will I ever lose my keys? No. Anyways, back to the complicated lock. I returned last night, quite late, or early however you gage the night. Obviously everyone else in the apartment was asleep and I was going to have face unlocking the door, hopefully quietly. Well, the light on the landing had already been turned off and there were 3 switches; one was our doorbell, one was the neighbor's doorbell, and the other was the light. I didn't take any chances on the switches. Instead, in my brilliance I pushed the elevator door button continually because when the doors opened there was some light. So I would push the button and run to the door to try and fit one of the keys in. Well, every time the elevator doors opened a voice said "C'est le sixieme etage" (this is the 6th floor). For some reason I thought this would not wake anyone up, but I am pretty sure after I pressed that button 7 times, everyone on the 6th and 5th floor were awake.
This was not my first incident with the door. On Friday night I successfully locked my host parents out. Their son had to call my cellphone to ask me to go let them in. Not only was I in before my host parents on a Friday night, but apparently I can't lock a door. The Dumontiers keep asking me what university I go to, I'm not sure they believe I finished high school.
As my dad said I might be the last student the Dumontiers have.

3 comments:

  1. ha ha. oh, Sarah! That's okay. I still love you! Hopefully there weren't too upset?! But I have key issues too - I can commiserate! Hang in there! =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Tracey and I chuckled as we read it. I'd never make it if I had to deal with more than one key.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps we can send you a small torch to put on your key chain..enjoying reading..keep it up..xoxo

    ReplyDelete